Monday 30 January 2017

Vibrant utilities


When I first arrived in Brisbane, I was struck by the coloured boxes at every intersection. Each different from the last, some professional looking, others clearly created by school groups. These boxes are the traffic signal boxes and Artforce is a Brisbane City Council initiative which allows anyone to apply to decorate one of these ordinarily grey metal utilitarian blocks.
Each design remains untouched from 6 months to 4 years and Council runs annual Artforce Awards.
My video shows some of my favourite designs on Brisbane's city streets, including a shot of one of the artists responsible for the signal box outside St Stephen's Cathedral on Elizabeth Street.
As yet, I don't believe there is a signal box walking tour but I think there should be. Well done Brissy for creating opportunities for citizenry to participate and get creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment